Monday, May 17, 2010

Spank away the gay

By now I'm sure most of you have heard the story of George Rekers. For those that haven't here is a little recap straight(no pun intended) from Wikipedia ...

"Rekers was on the founding board of the Family Research Council, a non-profit Christian lobbying organization, along with James Dobson and Armand Nicholi Jr. He is a former officer of the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH),an organization offering conversion therapy intended to change homosexuals into heterosexuals. Rekers has testified on the allegedly destructive and sinful nature of homosexuality in a number of court cases involving organizations and state agencies working with children."

This month, Rekers was caught in an airport with a male prostitute who had an ad on rentboy.com. Rekers claimed he knew nothing about this guy being a prostitute and that he had hired him just to be a "travel companion" to help with his bags during a 10-day international trip. Uh huh, right!

In 1974, Rekers was involved deeply into therapy he thought would get rid of homosexuality in children. His method? A reward-punishment system that involved spankings from the boy’s father to enforce masculine behavior. One of the experiments was with a four year old boy who had effeminate behavior. The boy, Kraig, had been enrolled in the program by his parents. Keep in mind, this boy is 4 YEARS OLD...4!!!!! Rekers would also put the boy in an observation room with his mother. The room was filled with masculine and feminine toys. If Kraig tried to play with any of the feminine toys his mother was told to avert her eyes from him.

The research would continue in the family's home. Kraig received red chips for feminine behavior and blue chips for masculine behavior. The blue chips could be cashed in for candy or television time. The red chips earned him a spanking from his father. At age 18, Kraig attempted suicide. Luckily, he wasn't successful.

This story really makes me so mad. It was the same reason I never admitted my sexuality to anyone until I was in my 30's. I too thought about suicide...let me say that again, thought about it. I never attempted it.
I was brought up in the southern holiness church where if you were gay, you were doomed to hell. That messes with your head. So many years, I questioned why God would punish me and make me this way. Why wasn't I normal? I had the choice to go the "straight" route and I took it for fear of going to hell. I dated several woman in my 20's and could have gotten married ...but I didn't. I just couldn't do that to someone. I knew I would never have passion for them and that just felt so unfair. It was after I broke up with this girl I really liked, loved even that I thought about suicide. I pushed her away and really hurt her. It was a tough time and when I decided to say the hell with everyone...I want to at least try being with a guy. The first time felt so right. Even then, after a few years of "being gay"...I had what was almost a nervous breakdown. I got back in church and decided to get this "demon" out of me. That lasted a few months b4 I realized it wasn't going anywhere.

It has taken me this long to be comfortable in my own skin, That being gay isn't a demon...it's just who I am. I believe in God and I believe he loves me. I also believe that this is the reason a lot of gay people are agnostic. It's time that we just accept people as they are even if you don't personally like it. Let them live their lives and you live yours. UGH!

6 comments:

Bob said...

Far too mnay stories like your's, Bob, that end with tragedy. And it's because of people like Rekers that LGBT people contemplte suicide.
When we just let people be themselves, they'll actually end up being happy and well-adjusted, loved and loving.
And that cannot be wrong, no matter what Rekres and his ilk say.

Wonder Man said...

Spanking just made me like the guy (who was doing the spanking) even more

Bo said...

Bob so many people have been in your same situation...I went to a Christian high school....think the movie "Saved"...Its terrible how so many people have forgotten Jesus' teachings of love and acceptance.

mistress maddie said...

What a great post! That guy is just a wacko! Someday hopefully people will be able to be what we are with no problems, I hope. My Dad died before I came out but I sure he would have whiped me if he had found out. I remember when my mom got me a barbie and ken doll and I paid for that one!!! When I came out my family and mother had no problems with it but kept it our secret. Funny thing is, I ended up doing drag for years and enjoying a good spanking from hot guys!

R.J. said...

I just read this story a few minutes ago and I'm even more disgusted by Rekers now than I was when he got caught being a client of Rentboy.com.

I still believe in God. I just avoid his followers as much as possible.

Stephen said...

Remember... you are unique & you are loved.